The School Sport Premium funding was introduced by the government as an additional stream for schools. Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive a lump sum plus £5 per eligible pupil.
This school received: £9165 for the financial year 2013-14.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting/engaging the least active children through new/ additional Change4Life clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
This year at St Mark’s we have used the money to increase participation and opportunities:
- Hire in Specialist PE coaches e.g. Chelsea FC, Salisbury City Council, Girlslovefit, Bath Rugby Club, Salisbury Rugby Club, Victoria Park Tennis Club
- Replenish and improve equipment e.g. Wake and Shake, Skipping Scheme of Work
- Pooling a proportion of the funding to support local partnerships, festivals etc (£900)
- Regular deployment of coaches from Premier Elite Sports Coaching – skill development, house competitions during Enrichment time
- Providing free and subsidised places for before and after school clubs
- Attendance at CPD opportunities for PE Leader
- Running intra-school competitions and team selection events
- Developing a site of excellence for sport – including orienteering
- Developing swimming further for all stages of achievement
- Part funding of staff
- Development of indoor and outdoor spaces
- Teacher Training
- New resources for new sports e.g. tchuk ball, volleyball